Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Being Real

A good friend of mine recently found he had acquired a kidney stone that was 8 millimeters wide (think HUGE, like an express train).

I happen to think it probably had little golden arches on it, but that's beside the point.

So, because this stone was unlikely to pass out of his body naturally, surgery was scheduled. He was understandably nervous because there is no such thing as minor surgery--not when it's YOU!
This was called "non-invasive surgery", meaning that no incisions were involved. Instead, they "blasted the stone" with a series of powerful sound waves, shattering it inside his body.

Can doctors do the good stuff now, or what?

The reason they put my friend to sleep, the doctor explained, was because that the sound wave impact was like a slap. And since the sound continues, it's like 1,000 slaps in the same place. So they put him out. After the surgery, the doctor told me and the man's lovely wife about the procedure he used to shatter the stone. He said they put the "cross hairs" of the sound machine right where they know the stone is, and blast it with sound.

Always ready for a sprightly comment, I asked the doctor, "When you used sound waves to shatter the stone, did you use the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin?"

Silence.

Sound of crickets chirping outside.

Aching, extended silence.

Finally, the doctor began again and explained in even greater detail how he blasted the stone, so that this poor ignorant preachur could get it.

Some people just don't get humor. It's not their fault. I think that's why it's called "a sense of humor." It is an inward sense that some of us just don't have. A joke is misinterpreted as ignorance. Or insulting. Or just missed.

I'm not saying I have an award-winning sense of humor, but I do love to joke around with people. Most of my jokes could be called immature or silly, but I really don't care. To me and the valiant few who have to listen, they sometimes work.

I think many Christians have stifled their sense of humor. They are grim. Serious. They want to get into heaven and are expending every ounce of their energy to do so. And that tremendous push of energy is pulling every last ounce of joy from their bloodstreams.

When did you last see someone laughing on a treadmill?

Where did we get the idea that we have to work so hard? Didn't Jesus do that for us--on the cross?

Steve Brown, my favorite Christian guru, wrote in his excellent book, "What Was I Thinking?",
"One of the great dangers for Christians and for the world is that we are far, far too religious. We go to religious movies, we read religious books, we associate with religious people, we eat religious cookies, and we wear religious underwear that is far too tight. Our problem is that we spend too much time in church and far too little time in 'the world.'"

In other words, we're stiff.

We need to laugh more, enjoy life more.

I can't count the times people have told me, the obvious preacher, that they don't watch any TV except for the news and the occasional--very occasional, ball game. Or that they really loved this certain movie--not that they watch movies, mind you, but they liked this one certain movie. Or that they only read Christian books. Or only watch Christian movies. Or that they only play Christian music on whatever they're playing.

And I want to say, "Pleeeeese stop!"

And "the world" (that's our Christian term for people who don't know Jesus) looks at us and shakes their heads. "Who wants THAT?" they ask. "I had enough rules already, why would I want more?"
Paul said something interesting in Colossians 2:20-21, "Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: 'Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? These are all designed to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body,  but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence" (emphasis mine).

If I were to paraphrase what Paul was saying, I'd put it this way: "All our self-righteousness doesn't really protect us from the big temptations. They're still present, waiting to take us down. So why do you stress over the smaller things?

Steve Brown wrote in "A Scandalous Freedom,"  "Before I gave up [trying to be flawless], I spent half of my time trying to do something I couldn't do and the other half of my time trying to convince others that I had done it. It is called hypocrisy, and it is quite human and quite injurious to your sanity...as well as your freedom. That's why I gave it up."

When Christians honestly opens up about their sin or temptation or struggle, we shoot Bible verses at them, expecting them to be instantly "fixed." If Christians have anxiety or fear or depression, we shoot Bible verses at them. Then, if they aren't "fixed," we pretend they don't exist or the problem doesn't exist. If someone is sick, we tell him about their lack of faith, thereby handing him a plate of guilt along with the sickness. "Could I have some sauce with that guilt, please?" If  Christians is burned out, we say they aren't spending enough time with God. Well, I'm often burned out, and I spend plenty of time with God!

We're all expected to love every Christian movie, every Christian book, every church service, every Christian musician's stuff. We need to love spending time at every Christian event, and not want to be anywhere else, ever!

Could I be honest here, just once?

I'm a preacher, and even I don't want to be in church all the time!

Why can't we just be real?

If you liked reading "The Lord of the Rings," just say so. If you watched a good movie and want to recommend it to your friends at church, do it. They know the rating system, they can decide to watch it--or not--themselves. If you like country, or Celtic, or classic rock and roll, or whatever, say so!
It's okay to buy a $3.50 cappuchino, even if Christians gasp in surprise.

But there's a price.

As American war veteran will tell you, freedom isn't free. You'll have to endure the shocked looks, the head shaking, the sad, disappointed eyes, the gentle Bible quoting.

Do it anyway.

Let's set ourselves free in the church, and let people see our joy. Who knows, maybe some "unsaved" people will see we're having fun and actually join us!

4 comments:

  1. Testing, testing the comment section, testing 1,2,3...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You weirdo. Your comments do so work. You will notice very quickly that lots of people will TELL you they read your blog, but people are afraid of the comments section. It is SCARY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It is helpful to pose a question in your post to encourage conversation. But that is no guarantee of discussion. The only thing you can count on is me, teasing you.

      Delete