Friday, March 29, 2013

PLEEEEEEEZE!!

WARNING: The following isn't an Easter message. So if you're wanting one, check out crosswalk.com and you'll be satisfied.
 
 
 
I walked into a Christian bookstore recently--I've been haunting this bookstore for years.
 
It's funny how so many Christians never look into Christian bookstores. There's really neat stuff in there. I remember one of the first times I went into one. I saw these sale tapes...but that's another story.
 
So, I was in this Christians bookstore and about to leave, and on my way to the door I met this other pastor who was entering.
 
I knew he was a pastor.
 
He was dressed like a pastor (a lot of black), we was overweight like a pastor (food is love in America) and he had graying hair like a pastor (I'll be there in about three weeks).
 
We pastors can pick each other out.
 
As I was walking out he saw me and looked surprised (I don't know why...maybe he was deep in thought like a pastor).
 
And when he got over his surprise me immediately pulled a long, sad face.
 
That's right! Instead of saying hello, he put the corners of his mouth down to look sad and reverent, and walked right by.
 
...and I wanted to turn around and say, "PLEEEEEEZE STOP!!"
 
I wonder why so many of us Christians have trouble having fun. Too many of us have been trained that way from childhood. We never questioned it. Long, grim faces are supposed to mean service to Christ.
 
Christians say, "I don't go to movies. I never watched 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' or 'The Hobbit' or 'True Grit.'"

Or--and I've heard this a lot--"I don't watch TV...except the news and sometimes a sports game."
 
And I want to say, "PLEEEEEEEEZE!"
 
Christians say, "I don't get flavored coffee. I wouldn't spend money on that. Black coffee is good enough for me."
 
If you really love plain, black coffee, OK!
 
(To me, black coffee is for camping trips and Armageddon).
 
Otherwise-- "PLEEEEEEEEEZE!"
 
"I never read novels or nonfiction. Only the Bible and Christian books."
 
Really? Then how are you going to engage the culture and talk to people outside our little tight church circle? How will you connect?
 
Because you can't just walk up to people and present the gospel. You have to be friends first. And if you can't connect with a single thing they do in their spare time...how's that gonna happen?
 
Steve Brown wrote something I loved in his book, "What Was I Thinking," (take your last dollar and buy it, especially if you're a pastor).
 
He said, "Contrary to a lot of Christian drivel, just because you like something doesn't mean it's sin. And if you don't like something, that doesn't necessarily mean it's good for you.
 "One of the great dangers for Christians and for the world is that we are far, far too religious. We go to religious movies, we read religious books, we associate with religious people, we eat religious cookies, and we wear religious underwear that is far too tight. Our problem is that we spend too much time in church and far to little time in 'the world.'"
 
I like Christians who laugh. I like Christians who giggle in church. I like Christians who love to watch "The Amazing Race" on TV to see who wins the race around the world (like me). I like Christians who like "Duck Dynasty" (I don't have cable, but I'll catch it on Netflix or Hulu).
 
Later, I saw another pastor. He was elderly, at least 70. He was either Lutheran or a Catholic priest, because he had the black suit and shirt with the little white collar (I always kinda liked that).
 
I was walking out of a convenience store with a green tea, and he was walking in. He immediately gave me this big, genuine smile, stepped back and held the door wide for me.
 
I could tell that elderly guy knows how to laugh.  
 
I want to be like him when I grow up.

Nehemiah 8:10 "...for the joy of the Lord is your strength."

No comments:

Post a Comment