Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Manly Endeavor

This past Monday I was standing in the grocery store aisle.

And standing.

And standing.

I was there to pick out food for a backpacking trip with a friend through 22 or 28 miles (we haven't decided yet) of the Knobstone Trail.

The Knobstone Trail is a 56 mile trail that winds up and down the hills of Southern Indiana. The southern 11 miles are closed off right now because summer storms blew so many trees across the trail. But that doesn't matter because 22 (or 28) miles of walking and camping in this savage wilderness, carrying every piece of gear on our laboring, straining backs, is enough for now.

In case you don't yet appreciate the incredible difficulty of this trek, here are some photos of the Knobstone Trail:



 
 
Okay, maybe the hills aren't that high (these are Alpine photos) but they can seem that high when you're climbing them!

And because of the incredible effort and personal risk in doing so, I had to have the best food to fuel my courageous endeavor.

So I stood in the grocery store...and thought.

And studied packages of rice, noodle mixes and instant soup. Cooking time. Weight (measured in my hand). And directions.

It's a good thing nobody was with me. I would have driven them utterly insane.

Also, there are socks. I have to study socks. Because when you're hiking, socks are important.

Everybody says so.

I have been looking a lot at socks.

Did you know that you can spend $20 for a pair of 100% merino wool hiking socks?

One single pair.

Just to keep your feet warm and blister-free in your hiking boots.

And sweaty. When I wear wool socks, they make my feet sweat.

This hike is going to last three days. I may just stick with a few pairs of cotton socks.

Then there's packing the backpack. Separating 64 bucks worth of food, a little from each package, into plastic zip bags for the trip. Coffee pouches. Powdered "french vanilla" creamer (no cream on the hot trail)! Tortillas. Peanut butter containers. Ramen noodles (the hiker's friend)!

And putting every piece of gear--lightweight stove, fuel, water bottles, mini tent, sleeping bag, wet-weather clothing, adventure journal, a really good pen, food, Irish whistle--in exactly the right place so the pack is balanced. And the gear findable.

By now my entire family thinks I'm crazy. Oh, they don't say so, but they're all wondering why I'm arranging all this gear so I can do a three-day sufferfest through the hills of Indiana.

But, like all true mountaineers say, "If you have to ask why, you wouldn't understand."
[insert manly posturing here]

They'll see...when my buddy and I get out on the trail, with nothing visible but nature and a faint path before you, it's all worthwhile. We won't be hungry, thirsty, cold or extremely wet--because we packed carefully.

We can pack this way for heaven.

Because heaven is as real as the chair you're sitting on. And we who believe in Jesus will be with him there--forever.

Jesus said we could pack stuff to take along. Good deeds. Money to feed the starving poor. Visits to patients in hospitals. Help to widows and orphans. Jail visits. Time praying for others--and with others. Souls won to Christ. All kinds of good stuff.

Jesus said each deed we pack for heaven will be rewarded by him forever.

Are you packing for heaven?

"His master [Jesus] replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'" 
(Matthew 25:21, see also Mt. 25:40)



2 comments:

  1. We are totally used to your bizarre behavior. You have been on enough hiking trips for us to know you will obsessively pack and repack things for weeks in advance. But I would worry less about food right now and more about having clothes to wear, what with the lack of dryer.

    Also, wool socks do not make your feet sweat. Activity makes your feet sweat. Wool wicks away moisture so your feet aren't sitting in sweat all day. AND Wool keeps your feet at an even temperature no matter how hot or cold it is outside. It is the benefit of wool. Also, wool resists chafing. One pair of wool socks would be enough for you to hike in through your entire trip, because your feet do not smell while in wool. True story.

    Don't believe me? Of course not. Because a knitter would know nothing at all about wool, right?

    http://recessionreadyamerica.com/2010/01/why-wool-socks-are-better-than-cotton-socks/

    http://www.bigskyfishing.com/hiking-products/smartwool-socks.shtm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waaal, if you REALLY loved me, you would have knitted me wook hiking socks by now!! There's still time!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete